Monday, August 4, 2014

Flipped Professional Development: Taking a Closer Look at Google Apps and Chromebooks


  I know many of you have heard of the flipped classroom, but did you know that there is now the option of flipped professional development.  As a technology integrationist it was amazing to me to learn of this idea.  Last year we tried to get together for a variety of Google trainings, specifically how to get to Google Drive, Docs, Spreadsheets and Forms.  As our students are getting their new chromebooks we want to be ready to answer their questions, as well as incorporate their use into the classroom so that we can make the most of this wonderful opportunity.  The options are exciting, less paper waste with online collaboration and sharing. More options for in time feedback by accessing comment functionality as students are working.  Digital assessments with advanced scoring options such as graphing responses.  There are so many ways that Google Apps works to support student learning.  Take a look at this link to see some more reasons for using Google Apps in your classroom!

I know you're as excited as I am to get your hands on these chromebooks and to think of what we and the students can do to use them to the best of their potential.  I know it'll be easier to think of what you can do once you take a closer look at using the Google Tools Suite and despite our best efforts we were unable to do our training until now!

  Thanks to the screen capture tool offered as a Google App extension by TechSmith here, I've created some video tutorials that will help you create a Google doc, form, spreadsheet, presentation and website.
The tutorials can be found below:



(https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bxm6wo_X20rCN2trNVZkNENZNUU&usp=sharing)


Google also offers some of their own tutorials which are more advanced and help to give you ideas about how to use these apps in your classroom, they can be found here.  


Once you've viewed each tutorial I'd like you to test your knowledge by making one of your own.  The best way to retain the knowledge is to put it into practice! 

Your Task is to Create a:
  1. Document 
  2. Form/Spreadsheet 
  3. Presentation
  4. Website or Blog
I'd like you to spend at least 10 minutes with each application, in order to play with all of the tools that are available.  

 

Once you've created it share it with me so that I can make comments and highlight what you've done successfully.

  




Next steps...

After you've worked with each of the formats I'd like you to brainstorm a way that you could use this in your classroom and set up a time to meet with me to make this a reality for you.  Take a look at the Diigo Links below for some ideas on how to use Chromebooks and Google Apps in your classroom!  Start by thinking of a vision of your perfect classroom.  Make a list of priorities for yourself and your students, what are your enduring understandings.  Sign Up HERE:


I've created this vision for my perfect school...what's yours?  Your students will be using chromebooks this year successfully only if you can model the skills you learn.  Let's be great teachers together!


4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful professional development resource! I like that you provided your own tutorials and tutorials from Google. I think that having teachers send you their product and commenting on it is a great way to provide support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill you did a great job on these 4 videos. Very professional. There was a slight buzzing when I listed to them and I'm wondering if you had headsets or not. Might you try it both ways to see which way would work better. I had an issue with a pair of headsets once that was cleared up once I switched headsets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your excellent tutorials are buried inside this post. You worked hard on them it it might be nice to call attention to your hard work by embedding the Google Folder.
    Try publishing the folder in Google then grabbing the embed code and adding it as HTML here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some great changes, thank you for the helpful advice!

      Delete